Rossmoor Walnut Creek, California. Formerly Leisure World® Walnut Creek
- Rossmoor Walnut Creek, formerly known as Leisure World® Walnut Creek, is located on what was the R. Stanley Dollar Ranch in the Tice Valley of Northern California.
- The community is only two miles from downtown Walnut Creek and twenty-five miles from downtown San Francisco. In Walnut Creek, residents can access BART, the underground rail system. BART has direct lines to much of the Bay Area including San Francisco.
- The world famous Napa Valley is very picturesque and a pleasant drive. Rossmoor is about an hour and a half away from this wine-making mecca depending on traffic.
- Rossmoor also has easy access to the Oakland International Airport either via BART or the car.
- Rossmoor Walnut Creek offers a variety of floor plans and housing choices. There are approximately 6,700 residential units in three cooperatives, 12 condominiums and one single-family-detached home enclave. The remaining co-ops or condominiums are mid or high rise.
- In September 2008, Rossmoor Walnut Creek was named one of "America's Best Places to Retire" by U.S. News and World Report.
- Securitas is Rossmoor's security service provider. Securitas provides 24-hour service, seven days a week inside Rossmoor's gates. The service includes entrance control at the main gate, motorized patrol of the community, assistance by Emergency Medical Technicians, response to non-emergency requests, protection from solicitors and traffic control. In addition, the Securitas staff handles the bar code and identification card operation at the offices in the trailer behind Gateway.
- Muir/Diablo Primary Care (MDPC) Medical Group Primary Care Physicians (PCPs) is the exclusive provider of primary care services at John Muir Outpatient Center, Tice Valley/Rossmoor, Rossmoor's health care center. A panel of five internists and a nurse practitioner are available at John Muir. MDPC is a 100-physician medical group, whose practices are owned and operated by the John Muir/Mt. Diablo Health Network, as part of an integrated physician-hospital system. MDPC physicians have access to all of the latest advances of John Muir's Information Technology including the ability to have real-time laboratory and radiology results on their PDAs and office computers.
- Five clubhouses offer many activity programs and options for residents. The Creekside Clubhouse is currently being renovated and expanded. Its new amenities will include the Golf Pro-Shop, a Cafe and a commercial kitchen suitable for catering large parties. The new Creekside Clubhouse will be the "home" of the Rossmoor News and community Channel 28 closed-circuit TV studio. Meeting rooms for business or party purposes will also be available. Delivery of the renovated Clubhouse is expected by early 2011.
- The Dollar Clubhouse was originally the summer home of the family of shipping magistrate R. Stanley Dollar. This charming house now functions as a community clubhouse. It has a gracious library where residents can settle in a window seat and enjoy a good book. Small groups and clubs also meet at this lovely Victorian home. For a reasonable fee, the gardens and homes can be leased by residents for more intimate gatherings and parties.
- The community has a three pool facilities: a covered lap pool, an exercise pool and spa, and an Olympic lap pool. The pools are complete with showers and dressing rooms.
- Rossmoor also has a state-of-the-art fitness center. The center offers an array of cardiovascular machines as well as Nautilus and free weights. Aerobic classes and dance instruction as well as yoga are also available.
- Meet & Greet! All the Clubhouses have available rooms, just the right size, for any particular group purpose.
- Performers and expert consultants from inside and outside Rossmoor schedule entertainment and lectures on a regular basis in the 150-seat Peacock Hall. Attached to the auditorium is an industrial-sized kitchen. Meals or snacks of any description can easily be prepared for any number of people at auditorium events.
- The Rossmoor Library, located in the Gateway Clubhouse, offers an up-to-date selection of fiction, nonfiction, videos and large- print books. All Rossmoor residents have book "check out" privileges.
- Rossmoor's Office of Counseling Services, staffed by licensed clinical social workers, provides residents and their families private consultations, short-term counseling, home assessments, crisis intervention, help with alternative living plans as well as resource and referral information.
- Rossmoor buses operate seven days a week, taking residents to destinations throughout Rossmoor and to nearby stores, Churches, community centers, and the Rossmoor Medical Center. Downtown Walnut Creek is also en route. A para-transit service with a wheelchair lift serves residents who can't board regular buses.
- The inviting redwood décor of the Fireside Room located in the Gateway Clubhouse hosts many of the community's larger gatherings and performances. As many as 200 people can relax in an ambiance of organic beauty surrounded by the elements indigenous to Northern California.
- Ants not invited! Rossmoor's on-site park near the Hillside Clubhouse is home of the community's annual Fourth of July barbecue. This function is extremely well-attended, drawing well over a thousand people. During the summer, the picnic pavilion and built-in barbecue grills are well used in this verdant setting.
- Feeling lucky? There are Horseshoe pits near the Dollar Clubhouse.
- Numerous walking trails weave their way through Rossmoor. Taking a morning promenade or an evening stroll is a satisfying experience for nature buffs and hikers alike.
- Service! Eight tennis courts keep the ball in play for Rossmoor residents. Singles and doubles tournaments are organized annually.
- Rossmoor Walnut Creek has two manicured golf courses. Take your pick between The Dollar Ranch 18-hole executive course and the Creekside 9-hole course. The driving range and putting greens are adjacent to the Creekside Clubhouse. Golf cart and club rentals are also available.
- Keep your eye on the ball! Rossmoor boasts a 300 member table tennis club.
- Pickelball games are offered weekly at the Tice Valley Gym just 100 yards south of the Rossmoor community.
- One phone call to Rossmoor Handyman Services will bring a repairman to your door to fix everyday home mishaps not covered by the community coupon.
- Rossmoor's Recreation Department schedules movies, book reviews, dramatic readings and other entertainment programs for community enjoyment. Dances, weekly lunches and suppers are also part of the Rossmoor social experience. Classes and excursions as well as volunteer opportunities are posted daily at the Recreation Department Office. Holiday cheer and seasonal events are community traditions.
- Rossmoor's award-winning newspaper, the Rossmoor News, is published every Wednesday and carrier-delivered to every home in Rossmoor. It offers complete news coverage of the community, including news of the governing bodies, features on residents, arts and leisure activities, club and sports news, health information, columns and "Letters to the Editor".
- Rossmoor's community television channel keeps residents "in the know" on activities and local news.
- The Rossmoor Recreation Department sponsors a variety of classes for "life-long learning." In addition, Acalanes Adult Education Center, adjacent to Rossmoor, offers residents many low-cost classes on literature, languages, travel, personal finance, computers and other subjects.
- The Volunteer Exchange is a special program in which residents earn credits for providing services, such as rides and pet-sitting, to other neighbors. Rossmoor residents can reach out to those who are homebound through the Friendly Visitors organization. Also beneficial to the community are the Alzheimer Support and Bereavement groups.
- The Recreation Department sponsors the Certified Farmers Market from May through October. The market offers fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, bread and fish every Friday from 9:30 until 11:30 a.m. at Gateway parking lot.
- An annual triathlon is held in May in which Rossmoor Athletes compete in back-to-back running, swimming and cycling.
- Rossmoor has over 200 clubs and organizations, including the major service clubs: Kiwanis, Rotary, and Lions. Women's groups, such as the Federated Women's Club and AAUW, are also represented.
- Arts and Crafts clubs include ceramics, sewing, wood working, jewelry making, lapidary, and miniature railroading.
- Varietal Clubs include: State clubs, religious clubs, Dance and Music, Bridge, Poker and other card clubs, as well as Computer and Movie Clubs.
- Be the "Happy Wanderer"! Hiking trails abound at Rossmoor Walnut Creek. Enjoy the pastoral views while climbing the surrounding hillsides of Rossmoor. The Trails Club promotes nature walks and events too!
- Lawn Bowling Bonanza! Three newly built Bocce Ball Courts and three manicured lawn bowling greens beckon bowlers! Tournaments for both sports are regularly scheduled.