Leisure World® Maryland, Silver Spring
- Leisure World® Maryland is conveniently located between our Nation's Capital and Baltimore, on the I-95 corridor, in close proximity to Rockville, Bethesda, Olney, and Gaithersburg. It is near The Smithsonian, National Monuments, and the rich history unique to Washington D.C.
- Leisure World® is near Tyson's Corner Center, a large, luxurious mall with fine shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Leisure World® is adjacent to the Leisure World® Plaza, an 110,000 sq. ft. shopping center with five banks, five medical centers, six restaurants, ten retail stores, two real estate offices, and a post office.
- Located in Silver Spring, the second largest city in Maryland, Leisure World® enjoys the cache associated with a prosperous area. As background:
- In 2000, Silver Spring incorporated more restaurants, attractions, and entertainment into the downtown area. The renovation enhanced Silver Spring's support of the arts, adding theaters, and summer events, which include free outdoor concerts.
- The city contains a dozen parks, three libraries, three public pools, and a large variety of worship centers.
- First developed in 1966 by Ross Cortese, Leisure World® Maryland is the most innovative community of its kind on the East Coast. Subsequently, the partnership of IDI, Inc. and RCC, Inc. completed the build-out of all 610 acres in 2009.
- Leisure World® features a variety of residential styles and floor plans. High-rise condominium buildings dominate the skyline. Townhomes, apartments, single-family-detached homes and full-size colonial homes make the varietal architecture.
- Approximately 8,500 people call Leisure World® Maryland "home". Its large population makes it one of the biggest active-adult communities on the East Coast.
- Leisure World® is a gated community which enjoys 24-hour guarded security, keeping residents safe and worry-free.
- Fare-free bus transportation brings residents to their destinations inside the community as well as to neighboring areas just outside the gates. Transportation for the physically impaired is also available.
- The community is served by WMATA Metrobus System and is within minutes of the Metrorail Station.
- Also within the community are The Nondenominational Inter-Faith Chapel and Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church. The Inter-Faith Chapel offers a place of worship for 32 different denominations.
- A well-equipped Medical Center and full service pharmacy are exclusively available to all residents and offer a wide range of physicians, dentists, and specialists. These services are easily accessed by telephoning the Medical Center for an appointment. Emergency home visits by a registered nurse are available at the resident's expense.
- The pharmacy offers a delivery service and quality generic brand medicines.
- An emergency Lifeline service is offered for all residents. In case of an emergency, a resident can just push the button on their necklace or in their pocket, and emergency services will be dispatched immediately.
- Physical Properties Department is the household service or "handyman" available for the community. They offer landscaping, snow removal, roofing, pest control, plumbing, electrician services, mechanical services, and other tasks, as necessary. Residents also have the opportunity to purchase appliances, materials, supplies and repair services. They can also act as a general contractor for any improvements or renovations that take place. They have nine different departments to serve you, including: appliance, carpentry, electrical, heating and air conditioning, plumbing, purchasing warehouse, special projects; vehicle maintenance, trash, and recycling; and after-hours department.
- Leisure World® Social Services is staffed by licensed and accredited social workers who will help assess a variety of emotional and social situations. They offer counseling, home health services, and Meals-On-Wheels. They can also help residents to move to assisted living centers if necessary.
- Physical Therapy offered by Atlantic Physical Therapy is available.
- Leisure World® Maryland is one of the top recycling leaders in the State. They arrange for recyclable items to be sold to recycling centers, which keeps the condominium fees lower.
- Banking and postal services provided within the community.
- Three full-size restaurants are located within the community. Of the two casual dining restaurants, Stein Room and Terrace Room, the Stein Room features a 10-seat bar. Both are open seven days a week and have 2 televisions for sporting events. They serve homemade soups, generously sized sandwiches, charbroiled burgers and chicken, a full salad bar, and nightly dining specials. The Cascade Bistro Fine Dining is open on the weekends and offers seafood, beef, and chicken entrees, a full salad bar, and homemade soups.
- Banquet rooms are available for rental for parties or events. Catering and full bar services are available as well.
- A community newspaper, the Leisure World® News, and a closed circuit television station keep the community updated on events and activities.
- Two clubhouses in the community house the Leisure World® News staff, the two pools, many of the different studios and activities, the banquet rooms, the fitness facility, the auditorium, and more.
- A volunteer-maintained, self-sustaining library allows residents to check out books, periodicals, movies, and music for free.
- Golfers and interested individuals alike can enjoy the 18-hole Championship Golf Course complete with a driving range, a putting green, a pitching area, a golf shop, golf cart rentals, and lockers for storage. The Leisure World® Golf Club hosts home and away tournaments, twilight tournaments, club tournaments, mixer events, clinics, and instruction. Lessons are available for groups and individuals from a PGA professional. The Golf Club also offers special seasonal deals on already reduced fees.
- The Computer Center features classes for residents who wish to learn and/or sharpen their "online" skills. The Center is open five days a week. All classes and services are free.
- Bowlers Bonanza! Bocce Ball and Lawn Bowling enthusiasts enjoy their games on manicured lawns. Tournaments are regularly on the agenda!
- Service! Four tennis courts keep the ball in play for Leisure World® tennis buffs! A game, lesson or a doubles partner are usually available.
- A recently expanded Fitness Center offers an array of state-of-the-art cardio and Nautilus machines as well as free weights. Aerobic classes, yoga, Tai Chi and individual training are also available.
- Don't mind the saw dust! Something is always being made or retooled at the Woodshop. Indoor and outdoor pool facilities give residents options for exercise and recreation all year long. The indoor pool has a lap pool, a social pool, and a whirl pool. Saunas are also available in the locker rooms adjacent to the indoor pool. Both pools are monitored by a hired lifeguard staff.
- An auditorium features movies, plays, musicals, concerts, lectures, and club meetings to entertain guests.
- Leisure World® has over 60 organized clubs and activities, including an active Clown Club that entertains during the Fourth of July parade and volunteers at local hospitals.
- Eyre Travel group plans multiple day trips to theaters, casinos, and shows as well as two long distance, multi-day, escorted trips to places such as Alaska, Hawaii, etc.
- Gardening plots are available for those who want to plant vegetables or fruit.
- Many classes are offered throughout the year for lifelong learners, including: art, bridge, ceramics, foreign language, dancing, exercise programs, dramatics, water classes, and religious studies.
- Other amenities include card rooms, a billiards room, a ceramics studio, and other various art studios.